Organising an event can be a great way to draw people to the High Street. They can be about almost anything, from a music or theatre performance, a book exchange, a photo exhibition or a tasting event of what’s on offer on the High Street.

If you want to organise an event and have no experience, we recommend you start with organising a small event. Organising a large event can take a lot of time and there are many risks that need to be taken into account. If you are planning to organise a large event, start by reading the extensive Council event guidance accessible via the Support section on the bottom of this page.


Start by asking yourself some questions:

– Who is the event for? (or aimed at)
– How many people do you expect to attend?
– What kind of activities will you include?
– When is it happening? (date, time)
– Where is the best place to put on your event?

If you have an idea for an event, it’s a good idea to start by talking to other people about it. They might have ideas that can contribute to yours, or know other people that can help to make your event more successful.

You can also check online to see if other people have organised similar events and how they did it. Don’t be shy about getting in touch with those who have organised something similar before. They can give you tips and insight.

Once you have a clear idea of what the event will look like and who might be interested in helping you organise it, it is time to start planning.

Please click here to review the Sutton event planning guidance.


If you are not part of an organisation already, you need to get a group of people together to help you organise your event. Enthusiasm is essential, but it’s also helpful to bring certain skills to your group. Here are some of the things you’ll need to consider:

– project management
– finances (eg budget management)
– fundraising
– marketing and promotion
– leadership
– DIY skills

Tap into your local networks and those of your group. It will help in recruiting volunteers and spreading the word about your event. Word of mouth is one of the most effective ways to get people engaged!

If you’re already involved in a Traders Association, Community Group, sports club, etc. it is likely that there are other members who have the skills you need in your group. You might want to consider forming a sub-committee so you can organise meetings that are specifically about the event and not clog the general meeting with discussing event details.

It is usual to divide roles on the basis of team member’s skills. You should think about who can be:

– Chair (this could be a rotating position)
– Secretary (take meeting minutes and coordinate the team)
– Treasurer (manages the budget)

It is useful to assign someone as the main contact person for the event. It is also advisable to have one person who is exclusively responsible for health & safety.

More information on roles

Whether or not you have a group with all these skills the most important thing when starting out organising an event is that everyone knows what their role in the group is and what tasks they’re responsible for. This isn’t always easy to do so don’t get discouraged if this takes time!

Do I need to formalise my group?
If you are part of a formally constituted organisation you can probably make use of their organisational resources. Licences etc. can be acquired on behalf of the organisation.

If you are not part of an existing organisation, you might want to consider talking to a local organisation first, to see if they can incorporate your event within their activities and make use of the organisational resources they already have.

If that is not possible, there is the option of setting up an unincorporated association. This is an organisation set up through an agreement between a group of people who come together for a reason other than making a profit. There is no need to register this type of association and it doesn’t cost anything to set one up. Importantly, individual members are personally responsible for any debts or contractual obligations, ie licences or insurance. If you are selling something at your event, such as food, you’ll have to pay corporation tax and file a company tax return.

Having a group bank account is the best way to make sure the group’s money is kept safely. Most high street banks offer special accounts for community groups. You will need to have at least two members of the group willing to act as signatories.

Setting up a bank account

If you are thinking about setting up a series of small events it might be helpful to establish a more formalised organisation. You would have to choose which legal format fits your group best. The National Resource Centre has good guidance on this.

Legal structures for not for profit organisations
Routemap to choose a legal structure

Volunteers are often enthusiastic and motivated individuals and can provide great support to your event. If you are already part of an organisation then that is probably the best starting point for recruiting volunteers. If you are not part of an organisation, you may want to approach local organisations or education institutions and ask if they can help with recruiting volunteers. The Volunteer Centre Sutton is a good place to ask for help in recruiting volunteers. If it is really hard getting volunteers, you may want to consider advertising in a local newspaper or magazine.

Volunteer Centre Sutton

When using volunteers you need to insure yourself against them getting injured. If children or vulnerable adults attend your event, volunteers need to be checked for criminal records. These checks are free for volunteers.

Information on disclosure and barring service (DBS)

It is considered best practice to pay back volunteers travel expenses. Don’t forget to ask them for receipts, as you may need those for tax purposes. And when the event is over, don’t forget to celebrate their contribution!


No matter how small your event, it is always a good idea to start planning your event as early as possible. The first thing is to pick a date. It’s worth checking if there are other events on that date that will either support or compete with your event. You may want to plan the event to be part of a wider celebration, such as Sutton’s “Take part, take pride”.

Once you have set the date, make a list of actions that you need to take to make the event a reality. Then, think about how long each step will take and work up a timeline. For example, getting a licence might take several weeks, so you would want to start that process well in advance of your event. You could use a Gantt chart to help you with planning. A Gantt chart is a common tool used by project managers to plan actions and keep track of progress.

Gantt chart for Excel

Holding an event carries certain risks. Remember that if anything happens, you and your fellow organisers are responsible. Although for small events you normally don’t need to fill in a formal risk assessment, it is wise to think about what risks there are. Think for example about what to do:

– when the weather is too bad to do outdoor activities
– if key people or volunteers don’t show up at the event or key items (toilets!) are not delivered.
– when someone is hurt or feels unwell
– power goes out
– if there are people that want to disrupt your event

Make sure you discuss these risks at organising meetings and talk through the actions that you will take in case of emergency. One tool that comes in handy when assessing risks is to make a site map. The map will also be needed during the event for contractors, volunteers, emergency workers, etc.

More detailed risk assessment information

Budget & Costs
It is important to know well in advance how much your event is going to cost. Start early on by identifying some of the major costs. These might be:

– Permissions / licences
– Insurance, e.g. public liability insurance
– Hire of equipment
– Hire of services and staff
– Hire of venue/site (if event is inside or in a Council park)
– Administration costs
– Performers and entertainment/ amusements costs
– Materials used on the day

Make one person responsible for the budget and let him or her report back to the group on a regular basis.

Preparing a budget begins with rough estimates but is updated every time you get more insights in the costs of a budget item. Make sure the budget is updated regularly, at least before every group meeting. Keep track of income and expenses from your bank account and petty cash in a cheque book.

Event Notification Form

A combined Event Notification Form and Risk Assessment must be submitted to the Sutton Events team in advance of your event. Please consult the guidance in the below web page in advance of submitting your form.

Sutton event planning guidance

Sutton Event Notification Form and Risk Assessment


Find out as early as possible which licences and insurance policies you need as it normally takes at least 6 weeks to get a licence.

Any event held in the high street needs to be brought to the attention of the Council. For small events (the council limit is less than 500 visitors at any one time) you need to fill in a temporary event notice. These must be submitted at least 10 working days before the event. There’s no guarantee your licence request will be approved, so it is wise to apply well before the event to avoid late cancellation. There is a fee of £21.

More information on temporary event notice
Sutton Temporary Event Notice guidance

You don’t need a food hygiene licence when you ask local people to bring food. If that’s not possible it is easiest to ask a trader who has all licences in place to sell food or drinks. If you want to sell food yourself, you would need a food hygiene licence.

If you plan to have the event on a street, such as a parade or street party, you probably want to establish a road closure to make your event space safe for families. To apply for a road closure, you will need to send your event notification form onto the Streetworks Team ( at least 4 months in advance of the event. Please note, there is a fee of £825 for a road closure.

Before applying for a road closure, you will have to conduct a consultation with all people living/businesses operating within the road you are proposing to close. This must be done at least 2 weeks prior to you submitting your application to the Streetworks Team.

Sutton road closure consultation letter template

Sutton Council guidance on parking dispensations and suspensions

Additional licensing associated with larger events
If your event includes street trading (for example a street market), you must ensure all your traders have a street trading licence.

Street trading licensing

If you or others are selling food at your event, everyone who does so needs to be registered with their local authority as a trader. They must also comply with food and health & safety legislations, have in place a food safety management system and have health & safety risk assessments. You must be able to assure the Council Environmental Health teams that any food being sold or served on your site meets these safety standards.

Food Hygiene and Safety

If you’re planning to play live or pre-recorded music you must have a music licence from the Performing Right Society and/or Phonographic Performance Ltd, even for small events.

Performing Right Society
Phonographic Performance Ltd

If you’re planning to have fireworks or balloon races/releases with over 5000 balloons you need to get permission from the Civil Aviation Authority. For balloon races with less than 5000 balloons you need to notify airports closer than 5 miles from the event site.

Civil Aviation Authority

You are strongly advised to have the right insurances in place. If anything happens on the event you organise you can be held personally liable. A public liability insurance is the minimum you should have in place. This covers you in case an attendee is hurt, loses something, or has his/her property damaged and holds you responsible. You can cover yourself for values from 1 million to 10 million or higher. Make sure you discuss the right cover with your broker or insurance company to avoid paying too much.

You also may want to insure yourself against cancellation if you risk losing money because of commitments to hire space or materials and no-shows of people that are performing or otherwise crucial to the event.

If you are hiring materials, such as a marquee, often the company that hires it out already has insurance in place against theft or damage. The same applies if you are hiring a space in a building. Make sure you check this with the company and read their hiring contract carefully.

You can buy insurance for a one-off event online or through an insurance broker. To find a local insurance broker, you can use this search facility.

You do need to be sure that the policy you buy covers all the activities you want to be included, so be open and clear with the insurer or broker you talk to. And make sure that you check the terms of the policy and in particular any exclusions.


There are a number of different ways of promoting your project. Make sure you start well in advance and build up your promotion just before the event. If your event is sponsored, remember to name your sponsors in any publicity. Check if they want you to use their company logo and how it should be applied. If Sutton Council is a sponsor, there is an approved way to carry the council’s logo on promotional materials. Ask Sutton Council’s communications team’s advice at for advice.

Printing posters and handing out leaflets
When designing leaflets and posters make sure you always communicate the event date and location clearly. If you’re using a picture, you need to make sure you are allowed to use it (especially if you get it from the internet) and that you have the consent of any identifiable people featured. Also make sure that your sponsor’s logos are included. Printing costs for black and white are usually much lower than colour printing, so whereas it may not be as eye-catching, if your budget is tight you may want to take that into account when designing.

Should you wish to hand out leaflets in Sutton in advance of your event please contact to book a location on the high street.

Advertising in newspapers/ magazines

You many want to put an advert in a local newspaper or printed magazine that are distributed in Sutton. Costs are between £50-150 depending on size per edition.

Sutton Guardian
Surrey Comet

Advertise online
Make sure your event is published on an online event calendar or via online magazines:

Enjoy Sutton
Sutton OnBoard
Family Grapevine

Social Media
Facebook and Twitter are quick and easy ways to promote your event online. With a bit of effort, it is possible to reach a large amount of people. Twitter is useful to spread the word about your event quickly. It is easier to quickly get a lot of ‘followers’ by connecting with other local organisations via Twitter. One idea is to tweet to local organisations or individuals that have a lot of followers and ask them to tweet or ‘retweet’ a message about your event and spread the word. Setting up a Facebook page is also easy and you can invite friends to “like” your page. These friends can invite others as well and/or spread the news in other ways. If you’re organising multiple events, it provides a good opportunity to publish news or other updates, such as a call-out for volunteers.

Involving press
Press releases are free of charge and can reach a lot of people. Apart from being published before the event, local press might be interested in coming to your event to feature it in their paper.

You can also promote with Radio Jackie.

Radio Jackie


Large event guidance
If you are organising a large event you are strongly advised to read the guidance Sutton Council has provided online:

Sutton Council event resources

Neighbourhood grants also click here

Events Team/Sutton Safety Advisory Group:
Events team – Sutton Police Station, 6 Carshalton Road, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 4RF

Business Regulation – Licensing, London Borough of Sutton, Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1EA

Licensing Section – Sutton Police Station
6 Carshalton Road, Sutton, SM1 4RF
Tel: 020 8649 0793

Environmental Health Team:
London Borough of Sutton, London Borough of Sutton, Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1EA
Tel: 020 8770 5000

Sutton Communications Team

Other resources
LocalGov-guide on running a community event
National Government guide to organising a street party
Fireworks safety